I am currently studying for RHCSA and wish to practice on a system (vm) that is as near as possible to RHEL 7. I know about the free development version but as per Appendix 1 (Exhibit 1.C), my intended use does not qualify me for the free copy.
I use Ubuntu for personal purposes and am unfamiliar with the subtle differences in the RHEL-like OSs. I am aware of CentOS, Fedora, Scientific Linux, and Oracle Linux, but my question is strictly for the purposes of practicing for the RHCSA exam - which one is the best match for RHEL 7 when considering the following tasks?
A Red Hat® Certified System Administrator (RHCSA) is able to perform the following tasks:
- Understand and use essential tools for handling files, directories, command-line environments, and documentation
- Operate running systems, including booting into different run levels, identifying processes, starting and stopping virtual machines, and controlling services
- Configure local storage using partitions and logical volumes
- Create and configure file systems and file system attributes, such as permissions, encryption, access control lists, and network file systems
- Deploy, configure, and maintain systems, including software installation, update, and core services
- Manage users and groups, including use of a centralized directory for authentication
- Manage security, including basic firewall and SELinux configuration
Another user asked a similar question back in 2012, but it was about an earlier RHEL version (and a lot can change in that time).