I want to make my laptop (Acer V15 Nitro VN7-571G-50VG) dual boot Win10/Ubuntu16.04, but I got some problems. I have two disks; 1° 128GB SSD - 2° 1TB HDD. I use linux for everything but playing games, windows just for games.
When I boot the windows installer, it says:
- HDD0: 1TB HDD.
- HDD1: 128GB SSD.
so I decided to install windows in the HDD0; when finished, I've booted the ubuntu installer and there is something I don't understand, it says:
- /dev/sda : 128GB SSD.
- /dev/sdb : 1TB HDD.
They appear in a different order. So, I proceed installing ubuntu in /dev/sda (all in one partition ext4, GRUB also in sda). When it finishes and reboots, Windows 10 starts automatically without loading GRUB.
So, the questions are:
- Why the order of the disks is different depending on the installer I boot?
- Why is GRUB not loading, and Windows starts automatically?
- Which disk do you recommend to install each OS in?
- Is it good idea to install them using UEFI?
- What partition table should have each disk (the one for linux and the one for windows)?
- What I've to do to install them in dual boot correctly?
As extra, I've read (don't remember where) that you need to make a different partition for /boot at the install, then mount the windows EFI partition to it, but Im not that experienced and I dont know if this is true.