makepasswd was changed from using an openssl API to generate (pseudo)random numbers, to nowadays using an API based in
The problem is VMs and iOTs (may) have low activity and do not generate enough entropy to satisfy the script/
makepasswd drinking from
While I tried to find an option for it to drink random numbers from
/dev/urandom, it has none.
So I just got an old version of
makepasswd, as it is a perl script, and pointed the script to
/opt/bin/makepasswd on my system ; and the script is now working as usual generating the +100 passwords I need in seconds.
As it can be seen from the source:
my $buf = $RNG->bytes($bytes);
my $buf = Crypt::OpenSSL::Random::random_pseudo_bytes($bytes);
Interestingly enough, the data and version near the copyright has not been changed, which put me off track for a while.
In both of them:
$Program = 'makepasswd';
$Version = '1.10';
$Author = 'Rob Levin <firstname.lastname@example.org>';
$Date = "Monday, 7 April 1999 at 22:56 (UCT)";
$Copyright = '1997-1999';
Convert from Crypt::OpenSSL::Random to Bytes::Random::Secure (closes:
-- Colin Watson <email@example.com> Thu, 16 Jul 2015 11:45:20 +0100