I'd like to know if there is any way to call the distros that are based on other distros, i.e., is there any noun that defines Elementary Os (which is based in Ubuntu) appart from distribution? Thanks!!

closed as primarily opinion-based by Thomas Dickey, Anthon, Satō Katsura, Anthony Geoghegan, Flup Sep 30 '16 at 11:47

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    Respin? or just spin? or fork? or any of those kind of terms would do. AFAIK they are just called Ubuntu based distributions mostly. – Mark Kirby Sep 29 '16 at 21:11
  • Fork, Or spin. For ubuntu in particular people often use "flavor" – Gravy Sep 29 '16 at 21:47
  • Since Ubuntu is based on Debian, are you only looking for spin-offs of non-spin-off distributions? Or do you assume a first derivative to have the same name as a second derivative? – Anthon Sep 30 '16 at 5:30

They're generally known as derived distributions or derivatives. This includes Ubuntu derivatives such as elementary OS.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.