I am performing a
traceroute (I also tried a
curl out of curiosity, that just stalls) on a publicly available website (so I know my computer should be able to and is allowed to reach it). However, when I perform the
traceroute it stops at the location I believe to be the location from which the website is served (a
whois on this IP shows the registered company address of the parent company which, oddly, the daughter-site denies it is directly affiliated with -- though there could quite easily be legit reasons for this), it goes through another 16 or so hops to get to its final destination, all of which are asterisked out...
Now, with my fairly limited knowledge of this stuff, I've come to believe that the most likely explanation is there's some sort of IP or port filtering in place on the internal network which is blocking the
traceroute probes, but I'm wondering if there's a way to figure out why these probes are being blocked, and what the exact filter/firewall settings are, without actually gaining access to anything I shouldn't be (i.e. making sure I only retrieve information that's already being publicly served from the server).
I've tried various different
traceroute flags but so-far have had no joy. For example, the
-p flag gives:
Cannot handle `-p' option with arg `[sitename.co.uk]' (argc 2)
I'm using Fedora 24.