A week ago I migrated from an old PC running Ubuntu 11.04 to Laptop running Kubuntu 16.04.
I am having problems using USB modems on the new setup.
1st modem is a ZTE. This modem intermitently loads. When I check
$ lsusb there as entry for ZTE but when I check
$ ls /dev/ | grep USB nothing.
I have to keep removing and inserting the modem several times till there's an entry under
$ ls /dev/ | grep USB. This is the time I can connect.
After connecting the connection will persist if I am lucky. Otherwise it drops after sometime.
If I am lucky and the connection works it's still much slower than if I use same modem on old PC.
2nd modem is a Huawei USB modem. This one neither loads as a flash disk nor as a modem. I contacted the phone company and they said both the driver and the installation instructions are on the flash disk. But since I can't access the flash disk I am stuck on how to get the second modem working.
I am not sure whether this is hardware issue or OS issue. The laptop is HP pavilion with Intel Core i7 processor.
Edit 1: Additional details
$ uname -a Linux hppavilion 4.4.0-21-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 18 18:33:37 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
When first modem loads the
[ 3473.319817] usb 2-6: new high-speed USB device number 8 using xhci_hcd [ 3473.450070] usb 2-6: New USB device found, idVendor=19d2, idProduct=0031 [ 3473.450079] usb 2-6: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=4 [ 3473.450085] usb 2-6: Product: ZTE WCDMA Technologies MSM [ 3473.450088] usb 2-6: Manufacturer: ZTE,Incorporated [ 3473.450091] usb 2-6: SerialNumber: P673A3ZTED010000 [ 3473.453414] option 2-6:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected [ 3473.453629] usb 2-6: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0 [ 3473.453831] option 2-6:1.1: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected [ 3473.454009] usb 2-6: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1 [ 3473.454161] usb-storage 2-6:1.2: USB Mass Storage device detected [ 3473.454320] scsi host11: usb-storage 2-6:1.2 [ 3473.454580] option 2-6:1.3: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected [ 3473.454710] usb 2-6: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB2 [ 3474.453577] scsi 11:0:0:0: Direct-Access ZTE MMC Storage 2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2 [ 3474.455098] sd 11:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0 [ 3474.457835] sd 11:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
When 2nd modem is inserted the
[ 543.661273] usb 1-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 6 using ehci-pci [ 543.755384] usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=1bbb, idProduct=022c [ 543.755388] usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=1, SerialNumber=0 [ 543.755390] usb 1-1.2: Product: HSPA+ USB Modem [ 543.755392] usb 1-1.2: Manufacturer: Spreadtrum [ 543.755870] usb-storage 1-1.2:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected [ 543.756777] scsi host6: usb-storage 1-1.2:1.0 [ 544.755426] scsi 6:0:0:0: CD-ROM USBModem Mass Storage 2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2 [ 544.764335] sr 6:0:0:0: [sr1] scsi-1 drive [ 544.764549] sr 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1 [ 544.764650] sr 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 5 [ 544.792148] usb 1-1.2: usbfs: interface 0 claimed by usb-storage while 'usb_modeswitch' sets config #2 [ 544.810994] usb_modeswitch_: segfault at 0 ip 00007f18cc79a9f5 sp 00007ffc85117b48 error 4 in libc-2.23.so[7f18cc70e000+1c0000]
Whenever the 1st modem fails to load this is what appears in
[ 3057.029719] usb 2-6: new high-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd [ 3057.159683] usb 2-6: New USB device found, idVendor=19d2, idProduct=2000 [ 3057.159688] usb 2-6: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=4 [ 3057.159690] usb 2-6: Product: ZTE WCDMA Technologies MSM [ 3057.159692] usb 2-6: Manufacturer: ZTE,Incorporated [ 3057.159693] usb 2-6: SerialNumber: P673A3ZTED010000 [ 3057.162269] usb-storage 2-6:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected [ 3057.162390] scsi host8: usb-storage 2-6:1.0 [ 3058.163841] scsi 8:0:0:0: CD-ROM ZTE USB SCSI CD-ROM 2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2 [ 3058.164981] scsi 8:0:0:1: Direct-Access ZTE MMC Storage 2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2 [ 3058.168188] sr 8:0:0:0: [sr1] scsi-1 drive [ 3058.168550] sr 8:0:0:0: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1 [ 3058.168702] sr 8:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 5 [ 3058.169096] sd 8:0:0:1: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0 [ 3058.183288] sd 8:0:0:1: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
Tried following instructions here but not lucky.