I noticed that kate thinks that a particular word is spelled correctly, even though is it misspelled. When I check the word using aspell or enchant utilities, they both correctly identify it as being misspelled. How can I tell which spell checker utility or dictionary kate/KDE is using and why it doesn't identify the misspelling?
First find the PID of the kate process, e.g.
ps aux | grep kate gives
user 23838 0.9 1.1 862548 97028 ? Sl 12:17 0:05 kate -b /path/to/open/file user 24710 0.0 0.0 12796 968 pts/0 S+ 12:27 0:00 grep --color=auto kate
The kate process is the first line (check the command at the end of the line) and so it's PID is 23838 (the first number).
lsof | grep <PID> | grep spell. I get (abridged)
kate 23838 jlippuner mem REG 8,1 110400 2884298 /var/lib/aspell/en-wo_accents-only.rws kate 23838 jlippuner mem REG 8,1 2412496 2884269 /var/lib/aspell/en-common.rws kate 23838 jlippuner mem REG 8,1 424224 3420495 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libhunspell-1.4.so.0.0.0 kate 23838 jlippuner mem REG 8,1 52128 657021 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/kf5/sonnet/hunspell.so kate 23838 jlippuner mem REG 8,1 77328 657020 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/kf5/sonnet/hspell.so kate 23838 jlippuner mem REG 8,1 714800 3408001 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libaspell.so.15.2.0 kate 23838 jlippuner mem REG 8,1 19088 657009 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/kf5/sonnet/aspell.so kate 23838 jlippuner mem REG 8,1 91248 2884348 /var/lib/aspell/en_US-wo_accents-only.rws
So in my case, it looks like kate loaded both the hunspell and aspell libraries (
libaspell.so.15.2.0) and it is using the
aspell dictionaries (
So I realise this is an old question, but I seem to keep revisiting this situation and maybe you are too.
KDE uses "Sonnet" these days as the spelling framework. Apparently it can use Hunspell underneath (and also Aspell, which is no longer maintained?)
Anyway, I needed to figure this out myself again today, and wanted to leave a note for posterity... the Sonnet setting in the KDE spell checking (Regional Settings, Spell Check) will cause a silent failure if your particular regional variant is not fully installed - in my case Australian English (en_AU).
Try starting KMail (for example) from a shell and notice:
sonnet.core: Missing trigrams for languages: QSet("en_GB", "en_CA", "en_AU")
So my distro did not automatically pull in my en_AU dictionaries, and setting that region for spelling did not complain about or change that situation.
This may be a source of your problem - also try disabling automatic language detection until you have your dictionary issues sorted.