I've looked at a lot of topics that look like what I'm looking for but aren't quite what I want. To give you some context, my ultimate goal is to have a Vagrant box that can compile some C code and output a binary. These are my requirements :
- The OS image needs to be very small (around 50 MB would be good enough, the smaller the better)
- Ideally I don't want to compile every tool I'd like to use, so it would be nice if I had access to the Arch or Debian package repos through pacman or apt-get
- All I need on the base image is a toolchain, basic networking, and a popular package manager
The idea is for this base image to be complimented with other specific tools using Packer and then packaged as a Vagrant box.
So far I've looked at these distros :
- Tiny Core: Very interesting size-wise (10 MB) but the package repo makes it a no-no, and I haven't seen anything on getting pacman on it.
- Arch Linux: The base image is very large for my needs (>600 MB). I might be able to create a custom image, but this is a last resort.
- Puppy: Tahrpup is based on Ubuntu but still big for my taste (200 MB)
- Alpine: 82 MB, good enough but again the package manager makes it a no-no