I am installing Arch on my new laptop but for some reason when starting startx Arch freezes completely. Before this happened I already had a working KDE environment, but then I had to force a reboot (because my screen light fell out) and after this I could not start Xorg anymore without freezing my system. Even the magic keys (REISUB) don't work, I have to do a forced reboot every time. Also, my fans started making a lot of noise from the moment this problem happened (and they won't shut up, unless I poweroff or disable the bumblebee daemon). The command journalctl also does not show anything.
The system freeze happens right after startx spawned:
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
Below the line I see a non-blinking cursor. I also checked the Xorg log and it was empty.
What I've tried:
- Format partitions and reinstall Arch from scratch
- Setting some intel GPU configuration options (see this wiki page)
i915.preliminary_hw_support=1to boot options (I have a skylake CPU).
- Turn off bumblebee daemon: fans stopped making noise and startx said 'failed to set IOPL' (probably because I had no xorg.conf file)
- CPU: Intel Core i7 6700hq
- Dedicated GPU: Nvidia 960m
- I installed Bumblebee
If you need more information just ask ;)