I have been using Mint 17.2 for over a month with no problems, but today for reasons I can't explain the terminal window won't open. When I launch it it immediately closes the window before initializing.
I did not do any upgrades or system modifications recently, I was just using the web & email today when the system froze (this has happened before and it's never been a big deal) but after reboot I have this problem with the terminal.
So far I've:
- Rebooted a few more times
- Ran pending updates (not much; installed fine but didn't help)
- Installed xterm as an alternative, but it does the same thing
- Tried the terminal built into my IDE - it too won't open
- Searched the web for this scenario - found this post with the same reported symptom but otherwise doesn't seem related
Any recommendations for how to troubleshoot?