I want to use Amazon Video on Debian Jessie but can't manage it to run.
I have the following hardware setup:
- CPU: 2 cores at 3 GHz (Intel Core 2 Duo E8400)
- RAM: 6 GB RAM
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 (MSI N650-1GD5)
I am using the sudo command.
For the GPU I am using the proprietary drivers in version 340.65. I installed them accordingly to the Debian website (https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Version_340.65):
- I added
contrib non-freeto each entry in the package sources in
- I updated the sources with
sudo aptitude update.
- I installed the drivers with
sudo aptitude -r install linux-headers-$(uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,') nvidia-kernel-dkms.
- Reboot with
I connected the GPU to a TV (Panasonic) with HDMI. Playing HD content in VLC works fine. Both video and audio are transmitted properly to the TV.
Today I wanted to test the video stream of Amazon Video. Because the video is DRM-protected and Debian is not the major plattform for this I had to put a little effort in researching on how to accomplish what I want. I read that pipelight could enable Microsofts Silverlight technology which Amazon Video is compatible to.
I installed pipelight like mentioned on the project site (http://pipelight.net/cms/install/installation-debian.html, http://pipelight.net/cms/installation.html#section_2).
- Because I am running a 64bit architecture I had to add i386 with
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386.
- I added the signing key of the project with
sudo apt-key add Release.key.
- I added the repository
deb http://repos.fds-team.de/stable/debian/ jessie mainto my sources in
- I updated the package cache with
sudo apt-get update.
- I installed pipelight with
sudo apt-get install pipelight-multi.
- I updated the plugin base with
sudo pipelight-plugin --update.
- I enabled Silverlight with
sudo pipelight-plugin --enable silverlight.
- I (re)started the default browser Iceweasel (the so-called Firefox), which resulted in installing the silverlight extension.
- I changed my user agent with an extension (User-Agent Switcher 0.1.3, https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher-firefox/) to simulate a Firefox running on Windows.
- I ran a test on a website to see whether Silverlight is loaded and streaming video properly (http://support.akamai.com/silverlight/). And it worked great! Note: For testing I deactivated all my other extensions like NoScript and so on.
But somehow Amazon Video doesn't work. When I visit the website and try to play a movie, it is detecting Silverlight correctly, loading a long time with an orange circle and then crashing. It says I should try a fixing tool of Microsoft which is clearly not a way I can do now.
So now my question: How to make the DRM-protected video stream of Amazon Video run on Debian Jessie?