I have a relatively new build that I can't seem to get audio to work on.
I have one card that i can see with
1 card(s) available. index: 0 name: <alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1f.3> driver: <module-alsa-card.c>
It lists a couple sinks:
sinks: alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3.analog-stereo/#0: Built-in Audio Analog Stereo alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3.iec958-stereo/#4: Built-in Audio Digital Stereo (IEC958)
And can see that my headphones are connected:
ports: analog-input-front-mic: Front Microphone (priority 8500, latency offset 0 usec, available: no) properties: device.icon_name = "audio-input-microphone" analog-input-rear-mic: Rear Microphone (priority 8200, latency offset 0 usec, available: no) properties: device.icon_name = "audio-input-microphone" analog-input-linein: Line In (priority 8100, latency offset 0 usec, available: no) properties: analog-output-lineout: Line Out (priority 9900, latency offset 0 usec, available: no) properties: analog-output-headphones: Headphones (priority 9000, latency offset 0 usec, available: yes) properties: device.icon_name = "audio-headphones" iec958-stereo-output: Digital Output (S/PDIF) (priority 0, latency offset 0 usec, available: unknown) properties:
My problem is that any program that uses the analog-stereo output (from youtube to RhythmBox) blocks if i have it output audio to
analog-stereo. I get no sounds and the program won't even run. If i switch the application to use
iec958-stereo it will run and i can see the volume bars move in
pavucontrol but since the only port for that output is
S/PDIF I don't hear anything with my headphones.
I turned off pulse as described below. I then used
alsamixer to turn all the channels up. I can hear white noise through the headphones which gets much quieter if I mute the front and rear mics. However, still no sound from the applications (though they don't block). In case it matters I have a Realtek ALC1150 chip.
Since it really seems like a driver issue and who knows how long that will take to get worked out, I picked up one of these for ~$35. Dropped it in and it worked first boot.