I can't create two files with same name with different cases in a folder. as an example if file names are like below.

test.java and Test.java.

warning message appear that saying

The name “Test” with extension “.java” is already taken. Please choose a different name.

in Linux we can do this. how can I do this in mac osx?


1 Answer 1


You generally can't. Mac OS X is typically case-insensitive.

It's actually a per-partition setting, AFAIK set when formatting the partition. The default is case-insensitive, and case-sensitive is known for breaking third-party apps. If you decide you need it, I suggest creating a case-sensitive disk image to store those files.

(You might also like to know about another site in the Stack Exchange network, Ask Different—presuming you haven't already heard of them.)

  • 1
    I have used the HFS+ case sensitive for some 13 years and UFS before that and never had either file system "break things". Some third party GUI applications will not install because they refuse to re-write their applications to run on HFS+ case sensitive.
    – fd0
    Oct 21, 2015 at 16:06
  • 1
    @fd0 That's what I meant by break things. If you're mostly using Unix utilities in Terminal, it'll be fine. If you want to use an Adobe product, good luck. (Not to mention, creating a disk image is much easier than reformatting a partition, if that's required!—at least a partition with data on it)
    – derobert
    Oct 21, 2015 at 16:07
  • Given that Mac OS claims to be POSIX compliant, it would of course need to be fully functional with a case sensitive filesystem.
    – schily
    Oct 21, 2015 at 16:13
  • @fd0 I've updated the answer to say its known for breaking third-party apps, does that sound better?
    – derobert
    Oct 21, 2015 at 16:15
  • @schily same thing about that update
    – derobert
    Oct 21, 2015 at 16:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.