I was trying to build the AWN from source, and I installed a bunch of glib/gio dev packages required by libdesktop-agnostic (also built from source) that affect gsettings. At some point during this, I rebooted and found that I couldn't launch any gnome-terminal. (Other gnome apps work normally.)
When I use the nemo-extension terminal (that's a gnome-terminal embedded into nemo) I get the following:
(gnome-terminal:11314): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_settings_get: the format string may not contain '&' (key 'monospace-font-name' from schema 'org.gnome.desktop.interface'). This call will probably stop working with a future version of glib. ** ERROR:terminal-app.c:1449:terminal_app_init: assertion failed: (app->default_profile_id != NULL) Aborted (core dumped)
I checked 'monospace-font-name' in the schema 'org.gnome.desktop.interface' using dconf-editor, here's what gsettings get says:
~ $ gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface 'monospace-font-name' 'Monospace 10' ~ $
No ampersands there.
It seems like having some libglib/gio's installed at once also causes the following related, similar gnome error-quarks that break gnome-notifications:
- [gnome-control-center] notifications: fix invalid format string | mail.gnome.org
- gnome-terminal: GLib-GIO-CRITICAL messages from gnome-terminal-server | bugs.debian.org
Which are great, but I'm kinda a novice at most of linux's technical-ness and I don't know really how (or, importantly, WHERE) to apply said patches.
Before you ask, I don't know which packages are causing this (there are waaaay too many in the libglib namespace) and I can't easily single them out one at a time without breaking lots of things. Yes, all my repositories are official and yes, everything is up-to-date and in order as far as I can tell.
Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela (ubuntu 14.04/trusty) running Cinnamon18.104.22.168 amd64 on a Toshiba Satellite p755 (intel, 6gb ram)
(there's nothing of interest in other log files, including .xsession-errors)