I'm facing a strange issue, I will try to give as much details as I can. I already tried lot of things from stackexchange and ubuntuforum and nothing seem to work.
My HDD looked like this :
- /dev/sda5 : empty partition (~90GB)
- /dev/sda3 : Linux Mint 17.2 (~60GB)
- /dev/sda4 : Linux Swap (4GB)
I needed to install Win7 for my work so I did on /dev/sda5, I knew that the MBR will be erased but I already did it in the past and I kept my Live USB to reinstall GRUB.
I installed Win7, reinstalled GRUB then I reboot and here start all my problems. Mint is not showing up as intended. So I boot again from my Live USB, I tried to mount Mint partition and it's empty, nothing is shown.
I removed Win7 and try to install a fresh Mint on /dev/sda5 to check if it can fix things by itself but no luck.
I wandered from post to post on stackexchange & ubuntuforum. I tried lot of things to check superblock, partition integrity : no problem ever found.
Is the partition really empty ?
So I was left with an "empty" partition with all my data. I was sure that all was still here laying on the disk. I found the "foremost" package and used it on an image of /dev/sda3. I was able to recover some files (so i am sure all is still here) but it is very messy and there is important stuff I did not found back.
If someone know what could happened or how to get my data back I will anwser all your questions.
Some random facts :
- Most of the files I am willing to get back are : txt / pdf / tex /php /python files. "Foremost" does not seem to find them
- I never touch the partition /dev/sda3 except to create an image with "gddrescue"
- When I tried to mount (even before messing up) Mint partition from Live USB (Kali & Mint) the disk was always empty (even if I can see that around 3GB are used in GParted)
- I am posting from the fresh Mint install and I can run whatever command is needed and install any package required
parted -l :
Model: ATA ST9160821AS (scsi) Disk /dev/sda: 160GB Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B Partition Table: msdos Number Start End Size Type File system Flags 1 1048kB 90,0GB 90,0GB extended boot 5 1049kB 90,0GB 90,0GB logical ext4 3 90,0GB 156GB 65,7GB primary ext4 4 156GB 160GB 4294MB primary linux-swap(v1)