The Basic Scenario
I have a 32 bit laptop currently running Ubuntu 15.04 32 bit. Its getting a bit old and outdated now so I plan to buy a cheap second hand server.
I plan to buy something like an Intel Xeon 64 bit based server which will run Ubuntu 15.04 64 bit (as it runs very nicely on the Xeon).
I like the usability, comfort and screen of my laptop, and I cannot afford a new laptop so a used server is a bargain aand suited well to the kind of application I need.
How would I implement the following set up?
Create a system which is something like a 2 node cluster/file server/network (with the possibility to add as many more nodes as may be wanted). Use the 32 bit laptop as the main unit but allow it to utilize the 64 bit CPU and larger RAM for intensive applications.
- Intel Celeron 1.6Ghz
- 32 bit CPU
- 2GB RAM
- Ubuntu 15.04 32 bit
- Good for non intensive processes
- Reasonable GPU and 3D hardware acceleration
- Intel Xeon Dual Core 3.06Ghz
- 64 bit CPU
- 8GB RAM
- Ubuntu 15.04 64 bit
- Good for CPU intensive applications
What I need to know
I am not looking for a guide or tutorial, but a simple outline of how this set up would be implemented.
- Is it possible to either cluster or run 32 bit and 64 bit architecture in this way?
- What specific software would be ideal to run a system such as this?
- What would be the best way to set this up to use all the power of both machines?