Here is list of all assigned codenames so far:
- release 1.1 is
buzz(Buzz Lightyear) - the spaceman,
- release 1.2 is
rex- the tyrannosaurus,
- release 1.3.x is
bo(Bo Peep) - the girl who took care of the sheep,
- release 2.0 is
hamm- the piggy bank,
- release 2.1 is
slink(Slinky Dog) - the toy dog,
- release 2.2 is
potato- Mr. Potato,
- release 3.0 is
woody- the cowboy,
- release 3.1 is
sarge- the sergeant of the Green Plastic Army Men,
- release 4.0 is
etch- the toy blackboard (Etch-a-Sketch),
- release 5.0 is
lenny- the toy binoculars,
- release 6.0 is
squeeze- the name for the three-eyed aliens,
- release 7.0 is
wheezy- the name of the rubber toy penguin with a red bow tie,
- release 8.0 is
jessie- the name of the yodelling cowgirl,
- release 9.0 is
stretch- a purple rubbery octopus toy at Sunnyside Daycare,
- release 10.0 is
buster- Andy's pet dachshund (currently stable).
List of upcoming major Debian releases' codenames after
- release 11.0 is
bullseye- Woody's horse (currently testing),
- release 12.0 is
bookworm- intelligent worm toy with a built-in flashlight.
There are also:
- special codename
sid(Still In Development) which is symbolic link to codename which is currently unstable,
- stable which is symbolic link to codename which is currently stable,
- testing which is symbolic link to codename which is currently testing.
My questions are:
- What codenames will be assigned if we run out of characters' names?
- Who decides what is codename of next release (please don't answer ambiguously like: 'community')?
- How many releases' names are planned ahead?
BTW: Interesting quote from debian.org/doc/manuals: