Firefox replaces the X selection with partial URL when it auto completes an URL typed in the Location Bar. How can this be prevented?
If I select some text with the mouse, I can then paste it somewhere else without explicitly copying it to clipboard using eg. mouse middle-click. If Firefox is used to open an URL by typing it in the location bar and the URL is auto completed, middle-click pastes the completed part of the URL.
As an example:
- Select text to be pasted in Google Translate using mouse
- Switch to a text editor
- Press mouse middle button, the selected text is pasted
- Switch to Firefox, open a new tab and start typing into Location Bar the URL to Google Translate
- After few characters, Firefox auto completes the url, eg. type 'trans' -> URL is completed to translate.google.com/ with bolded part selected
- Press enter, Google Translate opens
- Move mouse cursor to input box, press middle mouse button to paste selection
- The input box now contains "late.google.com/" instead of the text selected originally
This doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be really annoying.
Is there a way to prevent the Firefox completed part from being selected?
Edited to clarify the issue.