I'll try to be brief and include all the things I've tried out so far:
- Guest OS: Debian Wheezy
- Host OS: Windows 7
- Setting networking to NAT works.
- Setting networking to host-only works as well.
- Setting networking to bridged (the one I need) does not work.
- VBox Additions are up-to-date (first removed the Debian packages and reinstalled the ones provided by VirtualBox).
ifconfigshows the device
- Setting an IP-Address manually with
ifconfig eth0 <unused-ip>and then pinging a server in the network range does not work (
Destination Host Unreachable)
- I also set up a default route, but as it's on the same network (a simple
/24net), that should not (and does not) make a difference.
- The Host has two NICs. I completely disabled the one which is unused. Just to make sure that VirtualBox is not being confused.
dhclient eth0does not work.
/var/log/messages I can see the network device reacting when I disconnect/reconnect it via the VirtualBox interface:
Mar 1 11:27:23 sleeperian kernel: [ 1895.172149] e1000: eth0 NIC Link is Down Mar 1 11:27:33 sleeperian kernel: [ 1905.193469] e1000: eth0 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: RX
What I find most curious, is the error from ping (
Destination Host Unreachable). The IP-Address and Netmask are correct (pinging
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 08:00:27:25:a9:32 inet addr:192.168.1.13 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 inet6 addr: fe80::a00:27ff:fe25:a932/64 Scope:Link UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:182 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:30241 (29.5 KiB)
What am I missing?