LM 17 Xfce OpenSSH_6.6.1p1 Ubuntu-2ubuntu2
Despite googling everywhere, I cannot seem to get this to work. I keep getting this error.
$ xlogo Error: Can't open display: localhost:10.0
I have tried both types of connections for forwarding x11 with debug and normal instance of sshd
ssh -Y remotehost -p 2500 ssh -X remotehost -p 2500
The server config permits x11 forwarding.
Testing with a new sshd instance in debug I see this when connecting. The only relevant part of debug I could tell:
debug1: channel 1: new [X11 inet listener] debug1: channel 2: new [X11 inet listener]
DISPLAY is set
$ echo $DISPLAY localhost:10.0
The user is a standard user with sudo access and I otherwise have no issue (everything is cli works fine.)
Additionally, I am not using Multiplexing connections &
I can use x11 forwarding when I connect to myself (ssh -X 127.0.0.1).
Using ssh -v while connecting does not give any more useful feedback when the error shows up.
If I missed anything I can try, let me know. I'm stumped.
$ netstat -l | grep 6010 tcp 0 0 ip6-localhost:6010 *:* LISTEN tcp6 0 0 ip6-localhost:6010 [::]:* LISTEN
Also, I did ssh -X 127.0.0.1 on the server and it spit out this:
Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11 forwarding.
xauth list. Is this private information I should be concerned about? Not really sure what I'm posting atm.
remotehostname/unix:14 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 70f068c8dd2431088bcxxxxxxxxx remotehostname/unix:13 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 be500209ccb9fb769eexxxxxxxxx remotehostname/unix:12 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 01fc30e4887501602ebxxxxxxxxx remotehostname/unix:11 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 d04f849725f71070095xxxxxxxxx remotehostname/unix:10 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 42e99c898ef9aa295b4xxxxxxxxx
I changed the /etc/hosts file to have localhost come first. Now I get a additional message. I also rebooted to see if that would assist.
127.0.0.1 localhost remotehostname localhost.localdomain ::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication. Error: Can't open display: localhost:10.0
I removed my ~/.Xauthority file and am noticing that it is not being automatically created. I tested this on my raspberry pi & it gave me a warning and then created the ~/.Xauthority file. This behaviour does not happen on the remotehost. Permissions are fine to create it however.