I'm using OSX Mavericks. Using VIM 7.3, I can't seem to get the "hybrid" line numbers to work.
I was reading a tutorial stating that if both
set number and
set relativenumber were included in the .vimrc file, you could get a relative number on all lines but get the actual line number on the current line you're editing.
I've searched forums and have followed what others have done in terms of my .vimrc file and cannot get it to function. It just presents as if I had
set relativenumbers active and not the absolute number for the current line.
Im still relatively fresh to VIM but I have exhausted my knowledge.
The answer was to update vim to 7.4
To do this required the following:
- Updating homebrew
- Installing python (I read this was a dependency, but not sure)
- Installing mercurial (I read this was a dependency, but not sure)
- Installing VIM 4.7(+) (through homebrew)
- Configuring the path to use homebrew's VIM over the OSX default VIM
- I found the answer on this thread very helpful: installing vim via homebrew