This question already has an answer here:
- Reattach to lost X11 session 3 answers
Is there a way to run a Gui application (X11) in background so that if I disconnect, I can resume the running app again?
I am using SmarTTY on windows to connect to remote CentOS. When I run a Gui application (e.g. gnome-help) it starts Xming server and displays its window.
I want to keep it running even if I disconnect, crash or close ssh connection. So that I can get back to running applicaition later.
I have tried 'screen' and '&' and combination of both but neither works. I can not connect again to the GUI application when SSH connection is closed.
As answered by Anthon
- Install both the VNC Server and VNC Viewer on the remote system (e.g. CentOS).
- Start VNC Server on remote
Xvnc -localhost :13
- Start VNC Viewer so that it displays locally via X (e.g. on your Windows)
- Set display
- Start a GUI application and it will be displayed in the VNC Viewer