At seemingly random points, the video and audio from what I was watching will hang, and the program will usually stop responding to my input. I typically end up closing the offending program after waiting to make sure it isn't buffering or something like that.
- This has happened in both mpv and VLC, with similar behavior in each (loss of input control)
- I am positive my problem is specific to video files only. I was able to play multiple music files using mpv without the freezing occuring. However, the audio of the video that suddenly stopped would likewise stop.
- I have launched both mpv and VLC from the command line with varying verbosity levels to see if STDOUT/STDERR had any useful information, to no avail.
- Using mpv with default settings (no hardware decoding enabled), I was unable to reproduce the problem.
My current hypothesis is that it has something to do with the hardware video decoding, but I'm not really sure what to test or where to go from here. I've tried searching on Google, but video freezing seems to be a general enough problem that I couldn't find anything that sounded like what is happening to me.
Is there anything else I can try? Or is there a way I can diagnose if my laptop's video hardware decoding is malfunctioning?
- I am using Arch Linux
- I have all the necessary packages for Intel video hardware decoding (libva-intel-driver 1.4.1-1)
- The ArchWiki page on Intel Graphics contained a subsection pertaining to freezing, but it looks like that is for problems with X in general. I tried it without success.
Here is my
libva info: VA-API version 0.36.0 libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0 libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/i965_drv_video.so libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_36 libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0 vainfo: VA-API version: 0.36 (libva 1.4.1) vainfo: Driver version: Intel i965 driver for Intel(R) Ironlake Mobile - 1.4.1 vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints VAProfileMPEG2Simple : VAEntrypointVLD VAProfileMPEG2Main : VAEntrypointVLD VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD VAProfileH264Main : VAEntrypointVLD VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD VAProfileNone : VAEntrypointVideoProc