2

For a long while now, I have been happily using the xim IME (so that I may use XCompose freely). And I have never had an issue (though some applications which do not sanely handle unicode have crashed on me before due to my use of Compose) with applications ignoring the IME.

However, it seems Chromium (just installed) completely ignores xim. I cannot use my Compose bindings at all.

I am using Arch Linux (which is just to say that the chromium package itself is very nearly vanilla—I do not believe this is an Arch issue, so I will leave the Arch tag off for now) and I have the following definitions in my $HOME/.xinitrc which have functioned properly for years:

export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
export QT_IM_MODULE=xim

TL;DR: Any idea why Chromium is ignoring xim or what I might do to get them to play nice?

  • I think it's something with the chromium itself. I recently had the same issue and couldn't find any way around it without changing input module (I installed and switched to uim which seems to be working without any configuration changes but I haven't really tested everything yet). I would really like to know what is different with those other input modules, I don't like installing and relying on 3rd-party stuff for something this basic. (xim worked for me for years as well) – Ivan Anishchuk Mar 28 '17 at 3:31
  • Yes, I realize that this is probably a completely different issue with chromium. But I most of them had the same symptoms and affected only xim for some weird reason so my answer is probably still relevant. – Ivan Anishchuk Mar 28 '17 at 3:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.