How can I let my GNU/linux completely mimic an android device when connecting to a wireless Access Point?
I explain: I moved to another location and it seems that my android phone and tablet have a wireless internet connection of more than 20mbps. However, this does not happen with my main computer, which for some reason is restricted to 0.5 mbps at best, and usually around 0.2 mbps, using exactly the same wireless connection as my phone. This is not a GNU/Linux-side problem, because it works perfectly with any other wireless AP. I suspect it's some sort of network restriction and I would like to find out more about it, because this is the first time I encounter it. Tethering does not work on my android devices.
Is this restriction a common practice by network administrators?
With the help of the commentators I have tried:
- Changing hostname to something like
- Changing MAC address
- Changing program that I use for downloads (
- My mobile device has user agent
"Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.4; Nexus 4 Build/KTU84P) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/18.104.22.168 Mobile Safari/537.36". I tried the same with
wgetand chrome but nothing works.
I note that
ping appears to have the same performance between computer and android device.
EDIT: I posted the results from the script on pastebin (please click this link) and I will certainly change the title of my question when we seem to arrive at some conclusion. To my surprise after running the wireless-script I also did a speedtest. My Computer had ~3.5Mbps Download and ~20Mbps Upload, while my android ~20Mbps for Download and ~20Mbps Upload.