Helping out someone who inherited his environment. He wants to disable some repositories. This is an anonymized output of his yum repolist:

luke@server1 $ sudo yum repolist
Loaded plugins: rhnplugin, security
This system is receiving updates from RHN Classic or RHN Satellite.
repo id                        repo name                                                 status
acme-rhel-x86-64-server-5      ACME Packages (v.5 for 64-bit)                                 1
epel                           Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 5 - x86_64             7,745
rhel-x86_64-server-5           Red Hat Enterprise Linux (v. 5 for 64-bit x86_64)         16,133
rhn-tools-rhel-x86_64-server-5 Red Hat Network Tools for RHEL Server (v.5 64-bit x86_64)    564
repolist: 24,443

However, doing the following yields no results:

luke@server1 $ grep -ri acme /etc/yum.repos.d /etc/yum/pluginconf.d

Most likely it is using the rhnplugin to access "RHN Classic." To disable a repository (unsubscribe from a channel) you use the rhn-channelcommand or the web interface at http://rhn.redhat.com/

|improve this answer|||||

While .repo files are usually placed in /etc/yum.repos.d you can specify a different directory by using reposdir=xxx in/etc/yum.conf.

|improve this answer|||||

If you're registered to Satellite (you have a subscription to rhn-tools so I'm betting this is the case), the ACME repo is probably a child channel your system is subscribed to in which case it's made available to yum by way of the rhnplugin module which enumerates all the channels you're subscribed to and presents to yum as if they're repositories.

The name of the repo does look like a Satellite channel ID as well but that's just a guess based on how the name is structured.

You can confirm with the rhn-channel command:

root@xxxxxxlp03 ~ $ rhn-channel -l
|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.