I haven't used my NIC for some time, and now it doesn't work anymore, at all. I can assign IP addresses to it manually (
sudo ip addr add 192.168.2.155/24 broadcast 192.168.2.255 dev eth0, for example), but I cannot even ping hosts in the same network.
Very suspicious in my eyes is that ethtool (
ethtool -S eth0) displays some transmitted packets, but always exactly zero received bytes & packets. Something is clearly wrong.
Here is a list of the things I tried
- tried other cable
- tried other port (this laptop has one port on it's docking station and one on the laptop itself ; they're internally connected to the same NIC)
- tried other switch (switch A: 8 port GbE, switch B: 5 port 100 MbE)
- Downgraded kernel and linux-firmware to older versions (3.13 and mid-2013 respectively)
- booted latest arch linux live medium ; didn't work, same symptoms
booted Ubuntu 14.04.1 live medium ; didn't work, same symptoms
In every setup mentioned above I tried accessing the network by manually assigning an IP address, by using wicd. In the start I also tried NetworkManager, same results
At this point I suspect the NIC may be broken, if so, how could I validate this or rule it out?
This is the NIC in question (Thinkpad X200):
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03) Subsystem: Lenovo Device 20ee Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 44 Memory at f2600000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K] Memory at f2625000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K] I/O ports at 1840 [size=32] Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 2 Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+ Capabilities: [e0] PCI Advanced Features Kernel driver in use: e1000e Kernel modules: e1000e
ethtool -S eth0:
NIC statistics: rx_packets: 0 tx_packets: 90 rx_bytes: 0 tx_bytes: 8113 rx_broadcast: 0 tx_broadcast: 70 rx_multicast: 0 tx_multicast: 20 rx_errors: 0 tx_errors: 0 tx_dropped: 0 multicast: 0 collisions: 0 rx_length_errors: 0 rx_over_errors: 0 rx_crc_errors: 0 rx_frame_errors: 0 rx_no_buffer_count: 0 rx_missed_errors: 0 tx_aborted_errors: 0 tx_carrier_errors: 0 tx_fifo_errors: 0 tx_heartbeat_errors: 0 tx_window_errors: 0 tx_abort_late_coll: 0 tx_deferred_ok: 0 tx_single_coll_ok: 0 tx_multi_coll_ok: 0 tx_timeout_count: 0 tx_restart_queue: 0 rx_long_length_errors: 0 rx_short_length_errors: 0 rx_align_errors: 0 tx_tcp_seg_good: 0 tx_tcp_seg_failed: 0 rx_flow_control_xon: 0 rx_flow_control_xoff: 0 tx_flow_control_xon: 0 tx_flow_control_xoff: 0 rx_csum_offload_good: 0 rx_csum_offload_errors: 0 rx_header_split: 0 alloc_rx_buff_failed: 0 tx_smbus: 0 rx_smbus: 0 dropped_smbus: 0 rx_dma_failed: 0 tx_dma_failed: 0 rx_hwtstamp_cleared: 0 uncorr_ecc_errors: 0 corr_ecc_errors: 0
Using tcpdump -i eth0 I don't see any traffic at all.