I have servers (with Debian or Centos) and I would like to install programs from sources, because I can always have up to date software. If I want to install some program from source I usually do next steps:
- Download archive with source
- Unzip and cd to directory with source
make && sudo make install
After that I remove downloaded archive and unzipped folder with source.
My questions are:
- If I want to update program to newer version, what steps should I perform?
- How can I remove program installed in such way?
- Is it correct to remove folder with source after installation or it can be usefull later?