I'm having issues with my Belkin N-300 USB wifi adapter. I can connect fine, but about a week ago the connection started getting very slow and regularly drops. Bringing the interface down and back up sometimes work and rebooting usually does. I've tried upgrading the kernel, but to no effect.
My signal quality is not that good, so I'm thinking part of the problem might be corruption caused by my high bitrate.
iwlist, the current bitrate is not supported:
wlp2s0u2 4 available bit-rates : 1 Mb/s 2 Mb/s 5.5 Mb/s 11 Mb/s Current Bit Rate:150 Mb/s
I've tried changing it using
sudo iwconfig wlp2s0u2 rate 11M
which exits without error but does not actually change the bitrate. I've also tried with
sudo iw dev wlp2s0u2 set bitrates legacy-2.4 11
but this returns the error
command failed: No such device (-19), and similarly any
iw command referencing wlp2s0u2 fails.
Relevant output of
wlp2s0u2 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:redacted Nickname:"rtl_wifi" Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: 5C:96:9D:65:40:A3 Bit Rate:150 Mb/s Sensitivity:0/0 Retry:off RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off Power Management:off Link Quality=99/100 Signal level=61/100 Noise level=0/100 Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0 Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
I'm running Arch Linux with kernel 3.14.1-1.