I downloaded the latest ISO image from the Arch Linux website and burned the .iso file on an USB drive with some of the many tools you can find on the web.
Once I get on the shell screen I try to test my connectivity to the internet, but it doesn't work. My Ethernet card is correctly detected (I can see it if I do ifconfig) and is also in an "up" state.
I already tried to manually set the configuration using ethtool but with no luck. Also, I already tried re-activating the DHCP service but still no luck. I tried to bring the interface up/down and manually configure an IP address but it still doesn't work.
I searched in dmesg and as far as I can tell the r8xxx module of the kernel for my realtek card is loaded correctly.
I am really running out of options. The most frustrating thing is that only with Arch Linux I have this problem. ALL the other distros run just fine, getting an IP address from DHCP with no intervention from myself what-so-ever, so it's not a compatibility problem here but a configuration one.
I also noted that the dropped packets count increases as time goes by.
Here is some output from the commands:
ping 184.108.40.206 connect: Network is unreachable ethtool enp7s1 Settings for enp7s1: Supported ports: [ TP MII ] Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full 1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full Supported pause frame use: No Supports auto-negotiation: Yes Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full 1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full 1000baseT/Full Link partner advertised pause frame use: No Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes Speed: 1000Mb/s Duplex: Full Port: MII PHYAD: 0 Transceiver: internal Auto-negotiation: on Supports Wake-on: pumbg Wake-on: g Current message level: 0x00000033 (51) drv probe ifdown ifup Link detected: yes ifconfig enp7s1: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 inet6 fe80::16da:e9ff:fe21:fdbf prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x20<link> ether 14:da:e9:21:fd:bf txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet) RX packets 943 bytes 64724 (63.2 KiB) RX errors 0 dropped 117 overruns 0 frame 0 TX packets 17 bytes 2933 (2.8 KiB) TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0 lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING> mtu 65536 inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0 inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 scopeid 0x10<host> loop txqueuelen 0 (Local Loopback) RX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B) RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0 TX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B) TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0 ip link 1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00 2: enp7s1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000 link/ether 14:da:e9:21:fd:bf brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff dmesg | grep r8169 [ 2.742091] r8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver 2.3LK-NAPI loaded [ 2.742154] r8169 0000:07:01.0 (unregistered net_device): not PCI Express [ 2.742666] r8169 0000:07:01.0 eth0: RTL8169sc/8110sc at 0xffffc9000181e000, 14:da:e9:21:fd:bf, XID 18000000 IRQ 19 [ 2.742668] r8169 0000:07:01.0 eth0: jumbo features [frames: 7152 bytes, tx checksumming: ok] [ 9.037449] r8169 0000:07:01.0 enp7s1: link down [ 9.037502] r8169 0000:07:01.0 enp7s1: link down [ 11.874477] r8169 0000:07:01.0 enp7s1: link up route Kernel IP routing table Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface sudo systemctl status dhcpcd ● dhcpcd.service - dhcpcd on all interfaces Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/dhcpcd.service; disabled) Active: inactive (dead)
I also tried running simply "dhcpd" and it seemed to work (he saw my router and leased me an IP address) but at some point it timed out and didn't get an IP.