I was using google chrome browser on Ubuntu 12.04 machine, recently I needed to switch to chromium-browser. I am using the version that is available on the Ubuntu software centre. The problem is that I can't make java applets to load any more.
Here is my situation --
- I am using vanilla jdk (jdk 1.7.0_51) from the oracle.
- Previously in chrome, I have created a symlink of
/opt/google/chrome/pluginsfolder, java applets were working fine.
- After uninstalling chrome and installing chromium-browser, I made a symlink of
/usr/lib/chromium-browser/pluginsfolder, but java applets do not fire up any more (even from this site: http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp)
about:pluginsin chromium-browser and showing it's enabled.
What I have tried so far --
- After uninstalling chrome, the
/opt/google/chromewas still there, I removed it
- Made the symlink as the point 3 above to
/usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins, but no luck.
- So I installed
icedtea-7-pluginsfrom the Ubuntu repo and made a symlink of
/usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins, but no luck, so I removed it.
- Added the java applet test page to the exclusion list in the java control panel.
- Cleared temporary internet files from the java control panel.
- Did multiple cycles of "enable/disable" java plugins in chromium-browser.
- Firing up the chromium-browser with
-enable-pluginsswitch did not work.
When I go to the java applet test page, what I can only see is a grey rectangle, nothing else. Please note, everything was working fine on chrome browser and also in firefox. Please also note I do not want to install openjdk stuffs.
any idea ?