I've been looking for a while for the best conventions for icons, but I just find lots of inconsistent web pages. Maybe the conventions have changed and they need updating, or maybe I just haven't been able to find the right page.
- It seems like both PNG and SVG icons are supported. Are SVG icons preferred? Are there any downsides (because many packages don't use them)?
- If I use an SVG icon, can I have a separate PNG one for 16x16? Our icon will not resize down to 16x16 very well.
- If I use PNG icons, what sizes should I provide?
- What should the icons be named?
- Where should they be placed? /usr/share/icons? /usr/share/pixmaps?