I am planning on putting my Zyxel ADSL modem in bridged mode and use an OpenWRT router instead as the exit point from my local network.

So, what protocol must have the Wan interface if the router is bridged mode? I have 3 options:

  • Static
  • DHCP Client
  • Unmanaged

Since my ADSL has a dynamic IP, static surely isn't an option, so I guess DHCP should do it, but I am not 100% sure.

  • AFAIK bridged mode means, that you as a client have to do PPPoE yourself and you would get public IP? – yegorich Jan 16 '14 at 16:37
  • Yes, got it after little research although doesn't work yet. – atmosx Jan 17 '14 at 0:48
  • You answered your own question. Your IP on the WAN-side is provided by the ISP. It's a dynamic IP address; therefore, DHCP is the correct answer. Now, there might be other possibilities or hypothetical options, but that's kind of a broad question here. You should do some research on your own about what YOU want/need before asking others to decide for you! – ILMostro_7 Jul 15 '15 at 18:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.