I am having an error with name resolution that I am not able to figure out.
The system is able to resolve names, say, www.google.com when using a graphical browser like chrome or firefox. But on the command line it is not able to (unless I add the domain in /etc/hosts). This extends to all operations on the command line like ping and others. We have a proxy in this environment and the proxy information is set using environment variables.
I noticed that it does seem to resolve IP addresses but it is still not able to reach them. This makes it even more perplexing.
farhat@farhat:~$ traceroute www.google.com traceroute to www.google.com (18.104.22.168), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets 1 192.168.4.1 (192.168.4.1) 0.496 ms 1.033 ms 1.294 ms 2 22.214.171.124 (126.96.36.199) 0.872 ms 0.942 ms 0.930 ms 3 * * * 4 * * * 5 * * * 6 * * * 7 * * * farhat@farhat:~$ ping www.google.com PING www.l.google.com (188.8.131.52) 56(84) bytes of data. ^C --- www.l.google.com ping statistics --- 100 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 99131ms
pinging www.google.com fails.