I am building Linux Kernel 220.127.116.11 on a Dell Laptop which has Linux Kernel 18.104.22.168 running.
BTW I got the source from kernel.org.
The source had few syntax errors which I fixed in the process and finished building Kernel.
After reboot, I keep getting following error:
RAMDISK: incomplete write error(6022 != 28860)
Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0, 0)
Pid: 1, comm: swapper Not tainted 22.214.171.124 #2
I followed following steps while building the source:
- tar xvf linux-126.96.36.199.tar.bz2
- sudo cp /boot/config-188.8.131.52generic ~/linux-184.108.40.206/.config
- cd ~/linux-220.127.116.11
- make menuconfig
- sudo make
- sudo make modules_install
- sudo make install
- sudo update-initramfs -k 18.104.22.168 -c
- sudo update-grub
I tried following things after my internet search:
- After reboot with working kernel, ran
sudo update-initramfs -u -k all
However I still get this error for every attempt to boot using 22.214.171.124
Has anybody come across such an issue and what do you suggest in this context?
Thank you in advance!
Some developers have increased the ramdisk size to few MBs from 4096 default. Is that a good idea?