Unix & Linux Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of Linux, FreeBSD and other Un*x-like operating systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Recently my main work was editing .xml files. Google told me that for re-indenting a file I need to press gg=G in normal. But moving to gg is something that I don't want. Is there any way to do the same without losing the current position?

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

Use the ` mark:


Or use Ctrl-O


Or g;

share|improve this answer
I like the idea of Ctrl-O. Might be a good idea to map this combo. – J-unior Aug 12 '13 at 15:35

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.