I am running Linux mint 32 bit. My problem is that the operating system freezes randomly. When this happens, the only solution I have is to shut down by pushing the power button of my laptop, because neither my laptop keys nor mouse nor touch pad works or responds. I have encountered this problem with both the 64 bit and the 32 bit versions.
Some relevant information:
sai@SRKheaven ~ $ inxi -Fxz System: Host: SRKheaven Kernel: 3.2.0-23-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.6.3) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya Machine: System: Acer (portable) product: Aspire V3-571 version: V1.07 Mobo: Acer model: VA50_HC_CR version: Type2 - Board Version Bios: Acer version: V1.07 date: 05/11/2012 CPU: Dual core Intel Core i5-3210M CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9977.76 Clock Speeds: 1: 1200.00 MHz 2: 1200.00 MHz 3: 1200.00 MHz 4: 1200.00 MHz Graphics: Card: Intel Ivy Bridge Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: email@example.com GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4 Direct Rendering: Yes Audio: Card: Intel Panther Point High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.24 Network: Card-1: Broadcom BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n driver: wl bus-ID: 03:00.0 IF: eth1 state: up mac: <filter> Card-2: Broadcom NetLink BCM57785 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3 ver: 3.121 bus-ID: 02:00.0 IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter> Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (1.7% used) 1: /dev/sda TOSHIBA_MK5059GS 500.1GB Partition: ID: / size: 97G used: 8.0G (9%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 4.12GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap Sensors: Error: You do not have the sensors app installed. Info: Processes: 171 Uptime: 37 min Memory: 948.2/2622.6MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.6.3 Client: Shell inxi: 1.7.33
How can I resolve this freezing? What could be the exact problem for this type of behavior? Is it the only solution to shut down box manually?
- Are you using the native drivers for the Nvidia graphics card or the ones included with your distro?
- No, I did not install any drivers explicitly.
- Are you doing anything specific when the freezing occurs?
- Specifically, I have opened Google Chrome. At one instance it froze. None of the shortcut works, neither ctrl+alt+F1 or any other.
- Some other time, I have opened Firefox and it froze.
- Another time, when I was typing something in the gedit text editor.
- What applications are running when the freezing occurs?
- Browser, like Chrome. Firefox, Gedit are opened. And these are opened at different times.