I got a Vodafone K3760 at some point in Debian/Lenny's lifetime, for use with a Lenovo S10e. I installed (from the Vodafone BetaVine site) usb-modeswitch 0.97 and vodafone-mobile-connect (VMC) 2.10.01-1 (or maybe it was actually vodafone-mobile-connect_svn20090615) and it all worked pretty well.
After the squeeze update I have had less luck. Unlike lenny, squeeze includes usb_modeswitch 1.1.4-2, and I also grabbed vodafone-mobile-connect 2.25.01. It does actually work... for a few minutes, then the system locks up (or sometimes the gnome panel dies, but xterms on-screen continue to work).
Anyone know what magic combinations of packages, if any, will work reliably with Squeeze ?
(The obvious next thing for me to try is to revert the relevant packages to their older versions; VMC does have quite a lot of dependencies though so I'm not too sure how well this will work).
There's another school of thought which says forget about vodafone's app and just use the new Gnome network manager's mobile broadband support. I haven't tried this yet, but I kind of like the vodafone app (for it's usage monitoring, and for it's access to SMS messages on the K3760; these are pretty important if you travel abroad and want to see what outrageous charges you'll be stung for if you dare connect). But if Gnome or other apps provide such functionality, I'd happily drop the Vodafone software.
Thanks for any advice
Just to be clear: the system is rock solid when using wired or built-in wifi connection. Inserting the dongle seems to be pretty safe; the problems start once connected.
Update 1: I couldn't revert to the older vodafone mobile connect because of various python dependencies not in squeeze. Reverting to the older usb_modeswitch seems to be possible, but at least this once I got a spew of kernel bug notifications (alas, these don't seem to submit anything useful: example) and got about 30mins uptime before a lockup. I'm not too sure what to make of dmesg (have got some saved); there are clearly some call stacks into serio_interrupt in i8042_interrupt in ...a pile of handle IRQ functions ... but there are other ones too.
Update 2: I managed to get a dmesg log of some kernel errors from the "all-squeeze" version (not using any modules from the older setup) before lockup. This can be found here; no idea how to interpret it myself.