I started using vim two weeks ago switching from sublime and I am a ruby developer I know for a fact that Ack and Ag work very good on a Mac while they're not optimized for my Ubuntu machine.
These are the steps I usually follow when I want to search for words in my project folder (methods, variables, whatever) using "git grep" to search in all of the files in my project folder that contains those words, but it feels a very slow to me to:
1) Copy the words I want to search, from one file opened in vim
2) Ctrl + Z to send vim in background and use the console
3) git grep 'what I want to search' to actually perform the global search
4) Copy the file path from the list of results
5) fg to resume vim from background
6) :e filepath in vim
What do you use in your environments?
And what is your opinion about this topic?