I recently installed Windows 8 on my computer.
These are the specs:
- Fx-8150 CPU
- 8 GB RAM
- ATI HD7870
- 120 GB SSD
- 2 TB HDD
- Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 (rev 1.1) (only bios but EFI mode possible for starting from CD)
I already tried in the past to install a linux distro after installing Windows 8. But during the installation a "critical error" occurred (without further details) and the installation of linux was not "clean". I couldn't install a lot of packages and I found out that there was no boot loader. When restarting it only loaded Windows 8 directly. I tried to reconfigure the partitions in linux but I kind of destroyed the boot partition and wasn't able to boot anything. I couldn't even repair the Windows installation and had to re-install Windows.
I need help in finding the correct way of using the partitions.
Windows is installed on C: while D: contains only data
How do I pre-configure my partitions so that I can install and dual-boot Kubuntu? I'd prefer to install it on my SSD (having like 30 GB) but I would be fine if it's only possible to install it on the HDD.
I will be using Kubuntu 12.04 LTS (Installation DVD for 64bit)
- What do I need to do in order to have the correct bootloader (I presume it's grub?)
- How do I have to prepare my partitions for a correct linux installation?
When I try to install Kubuntu from a bootable USB-stick I don't see my partitions. There is sda with 120GB free space and sdb with 2TB of free space... How can I make the partitions I configured in Windows be visible in Linux?
It seems my whole GPT was corrupt. So I re-installed Windows 8, wiped out all partitions and drives and now have a clean Windows 8 installation looking like this:
Any advice on how to prepare the partitions for a dual-boot Kubuntu installation?
Here is what I've done so far:
- Shrinking C by 30 GB for my linux installation
- Leave the 30 GB unallocated
- boot from Kubuntu 12.04 USB stick
- Go through the installation procedure
- In the free space creating the following
- Created /sda5 as ext2 with 250 mb and mount point /boot
- Created /sda6 as swap with 4096 mb
- Created /sda7 as ext4 file system with about 25 gb and mount point /
- After warning from the program I did the following:
- Created /sda8 as dos boot part with 1 mb (the program recommended it)
- as boot loader location I choose /dev/sda5
The installation starts without warnings but when it's almost done it says "grub coul not be installed in /dev/sda5".
I followed a tutorial step-by-step but still got the same message.
Any advice on that?