Take the 2-minute tour ×
Unix & Linux Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of Linux, FreeBSD and other Un*x-like operating systems.. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I’d want to make modifier keys (control, alt, shift, meta, super, lv3_switch) to act like usual keys, I mean, without holding one of them to perform associated key combination. Say C-x M-1 can by typed like

press Ctrl key — release Ctrl key 
press x key — release x key 
press Meta key — release Meta key 
press 1 key — release 1 key

so that can be performed even with one hand key-by-key!

share|improve this question
The term you are looking for is "sticky keys". A similar question has been asked on superuser: use xbset sticky -twokey -latchlock. –  donothingsuccessfully Feb 8 '13 at 8:50
@donothingsuccessfully thanks, but fix xbset to xkbset? Someone may not get it. –  tijagi Feb 8 '13 at 23:51
I just lazily copied the command from the superuser link! Now my previous comment is outside the edit window. It looks like the real command is: xkbset sticky -twokey -latchlock. –  donothingsuccessfully Feb 9 '13 at 7:54

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.