My external USB 3 hard drive is behaving very strangely:
- If I plug it into a USB 2 port, it works fine
- If I plug it into a USB 3 port, it doesn't work at all. It's not even mentioned in
- If I plug a USB 2 device (memory stick) into the same USB 3 port, it works fine.
- I think the USB 3 drive is mentioned in
dmesgduring boot up when it's plugged into the USB 3 port, but it's hard to tell. There are no clear device names listed, just serial ids etc.
The last time I used it on this machine, everything was alright, but that was at least a month ago. Since then I've gone through a few kernel upgrades and a number of package updates. My guess is something went wrong in the process, so I'm here to try and narrow that down.
- I'm running Gentoo (kernel version: 3.7.4-gentoo)
CONFIG_USB_STORAGEis enabled in the kernel (obviously, since USB 2 works)
CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCDis also enabled in the kernel
The hardware involved is:
- Lenovo X1 laptop
- WD 1tb portable drive. There's no external power options, and I've never needed one (when it was working)