Unix & Linux Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of Linux, FreeBSD and other Un*x-like operating systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

As a extension to this question: How to make difference between .wxm (wxMaxima) and .c files in Linux Mint?

I'm using Linux Mint. I created a mime type. Now I want the desktop environment to use it. How do I do that?

If you need any more data, just ask.

share|improve this question

Have you checked out officla docs?


There is a soft called MIME Type Editor ...

Then, ther is this video: h t t p : / / w w w .youtube.com/watch?v=Uq8e86iY5XQ

And finally, you can always do these steps:


I highly doubt none of these things helps ...

share|improve this answer
are you sure he is using xfce? – JustDanyul Nov 28 '12 at 13:02
"I'm using Linux Mint." ... ether I am becoming too eager by depending to the way author writes this Question ... either you somehow slipped over the line ... :) – HX_unbanned Nov 28 '12 at 14:23
I'm not a Linux Mint user, but I am fairly sure that it comes in three flavours 1. Linux Mint (uses Mate and Cinnamon for DE) 2. Linux Mint XFCE (which uses.. well, XFCE) and 3. Linux Mint KDE (..im guessing this uses KDE). If I just hear "Linux Mint" i would suspect he is actually using the first option :) – JustDanyul Nov 28 '12 at 14:31

For Mint (and also for Ubuntu 10.04) ASSOGIATE is a useful mime-type editor.

It is no longer available in Mint 17 Qiana but I used this workaround:

  1. find package candidate: https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=assogiate

  2. add corresponding repository to gksu synaptic (I used Wheezy stable for Mint 17 Qiana): deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian wheezy main

  3. sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install assogiate

  4. Disable repository to prevent it from changing system any further and sudo apt-get update again to undo update information.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.