Unix & Linux Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of Linux, FreeBSD and other Un*x-like operating systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am trying to install the Intel Parallel Studio 2013 on Ubuntu 12.04. During installation I received a failure notice that the command g++ was missing. I asked Intel and they indicated that the C++ development system needs to be installed. Can I install this without having to go through the install again?

share|improve this question

On a Ubuntu system, you can install the c++ compiler along with common development libraries with the build-essential package. This is a meta package that depends on the following:

libc6-dev | libc-dev, gcc, g++, make, dpkg-dev

This is the base of what is needed for compiling C and C++. Other development libraries can be installed as-needed.

share|improve this answer
I would greatly appreciate you assistance in locating the build-essential package. I've already spent quite alot of time looking through the different directories as well as on the internet. Also, how do I go about ensuring the second line is true, libc6-dev ... – Arnold Oct 25 '12 at 19:11
In case anyone else has this problem, you can install the build-essential package by using the following command in the terminal: sudo apt-get install build-essential – Arnold Oct 25 '12 at 19:59
@Arnold you should have a package manager somewhere in your Ubuntu menus, which you can use to install packages. Forget exactly what it's called. It'll also let you browse & search the available packages (there are a lot) – derobert Oct 25 '12 at 20:05
@derobert "Software Center" on modern Ubuntu, "Synaptic Package Manager" on older versions (and Debian). – jordanm Oct 25 '12 at 20:42

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.