I have a Logitech USB headset ( I think it's a H330, but I don't remember the model number right). Occasionally, on Linux there would be a loud buzzing noise in the right ear that was many times louder than the audio. This happened in different apps with different files at different times. I wasn't able to narrow it down until recently, when I found out that it appears to be an issue with 48khz audio.
I have two video files. The first has mpeg audio at 44.1khz, the second has mpeg audio at 48khz. The second causes the weird buzzing, the first does not.
- 44.1khz audio, VLC on Linux, headset plugged in - no buzzing
- 48khz audio, VLC on Linux, headset plugged in - has buzzing
- 48khz audio, mplayer, headset plugged in - buzzing
- 48khz audio, VLC on Windows, headset plugged in - no buzzing
- 48khz, VLC on Linux, headset plugged out - no buzzing
So it appears to be an issue at a driver level or something to do with pulse. I think I've ruled out hardware problems or issues with the video file with this testing (although it wasn't a issue with the file anyway, as this happened on some youtube videos too)
Any idea what's causing this and how I can fix it?