I have a Sony E Series laptop with Fedora 17 and Windows 8 in dual boot. The brightness adjusts just fine on my Windows8 but not in Fedora. If I change it with the brightness slider in the power settings nothing happens. The brightness stays maximum even if I adjust the slider to minimum.
Blinded by my screen and frustrated by the draining battery I tried everything on the net.
I tried things like -
- Reinstall bash.
yum reinstall bash
- Add this to kernel parameters in grub2.cfg -
- Add this line to xorg.conf -
Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
- Add this line to grub.cfg -
- Update the drivers for your video card.
- Install some utility. Example -
xbacklight utilityfrom freedesktop.org
None of these suggestions worked for me.