Unix & Linux Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of Linux, FreeBSD and other Un*x-like operating systems. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'd like to change default keys which manipulate window. For example default set is: maximize: x key but unmaximze: is e key I really want to have for example x key for maximize and unmaximze. How to change that?


I'd like to change letters binded to menu items, from 'alt + space' menu: So..

alt + space (menu shows), then menu items are:

  • 'Send to desktop' binded with 's' letter
  • Layer binded with 'l' letter
  • Move binded with 'm' letter
  • so on..

I'd like to change these letter, like: 's', 'l' and 'm'..

share|improve this question

You can find key binding definitions here, And window actions here.

An example here to set Ctrl + Shift + A for toggling window maxmize state:

edit your ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml, put in these lines:

  <keybind key="C-S-a">
    <action name="ToggleMaximize">
share|improve this answer
This accomplish that but not the way, i'd like. See updated my question. – xliiv Aug 3 '12 at 7:59
up vote 0 down vote accepted

This is cannot be achieved without source modification according to:


However there are 2 walkarounds:

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.