Unix & Linux Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of Linux, FreeBSD and other Un*x-like operating systems. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've written a useful kernel module for a specific fan controller that I want to submit upstream.

Where can I find an address to submit my module? Do I need it make GPL or can I use a less restrictive licence?

share|improve this question

Read the documentation about Submitting Drivers as well as about Submitting Patches:

  1. You can find the appropriate address in the MAINTAINERS file
  2. You driver must be licensed under GPL but you can dual-license it, e.g. put it under GPL and a BSD license.
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.