Take the 2-minute tour ×
Unix & Linux Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for users of Linux, FreeBSD and other Un*x-like operating systems.. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In Linux Mint (Debian-based) how can I edit what the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+t launches?

For example, I would like to issue gnome-terminal with the --maximize option, and to have it launch tmux instantly.

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

You can modify the /desktop/gnome/applications/terminal/exec key in GConf (using gconf-editor), which is described as "the default terminal application to use for applications that require a terminal".

Alternatively, I propose a little more flexible solution: if you use Compiz, you can use the Commands plugin to define keyboard shortcuts for your own commands. This way, you can keep the default shortcut to launch a windowed terminal, and define an other shortcut for a fullscreen terminal.

(Sidenote: in the Compiz configuration tool, you can change directly the terminal command and shortcut in the Gnome Compatibility plugin.)

share|improve this answer
From your answer, I was able to do this also from the command line: gconftool-2 --type string --set /desktop/gnome/applications/terminal/exec "gnome-terminal --maximize -e tmux". –  eoinoc Jul 6 '12 at 11:26
For Gnome 3-based installations, it seems gconf-editor is being phased out. User dconf-editor instead. askubuntu.com/questions/122039/dconf-editor-and-gconf-editor . And user gsettings instead of gconftool-2 at the command line. –  eoinoc Jan 23 '13 at 10:44
  1. Install dconf-editor

    $ sudo apt-get install dconf-editor
  2. Open dconf-editor

    $ dconf-editor
  3. Navigate to the terminal key

  4. Change the key to the terminal you want

    Name=exec => Value=konsole


Remember to install that terminal you want by default first. (Obviously)

sudo apt-get install konsole
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.