I'm not really sure if the software that I need is a workflow management software.
Basically I need something that I can host on a Linux server that will provide the following functionality:
- support a pre-set workflow, allowing users to see where they are currently in the workflow, and whether they are expected to act, or they should wait for some external action
- users also need to see the deadline of the entire workflow and the steps that are still ahead
- not absolutely required, but it would be nice to have the ability to track versions of files inside the workflow
- ability to add support materials for steps in the workflow (let's say the workflow went back to the user, to fix some errors, so he will have links to wiki and other relevant materials for that step)
- notifications, for example for the users, when the workflow gets back into a state where they are expected to act